A world first:
- Exists in one or two channels (optional)
- Unidirectional or bidirectional links (optional)
- Up to 32 destinations
- Multiple built-in backup options
- Stream replication without re-coding (optional)
- Available in FM Processor option
SOUND4 IP CONNECT – a product dedicated to dynamic audio networking
The SOUND4 IP CONNECT offers customers much more than point-to-point sound streaming. It provides a variety of audio IP solutions by incorporating a unique combination of features. It takes signal processing into account, allows for synchronization and offers secure routing in the event of an IP link failure, as well as stream duplication without decoding and re-encoding. Delay is minimal, while the network architecture can be adjusted according to the new demands of the broadcasting environment.
Live local programs manageable with two clicks
SOUND4 IP CONNECT allows clients to create a live program with two clicks, to assign a group of transmitters to a particular studio and manage an IP network through the radio automation systems.
Thanks to the IP Pass-Through functionality, it is possible to rebroadcast a link from a receiver without decoding and re-encoding.
This functionality is really appreciated by broadcasters who need a significant bandwidth to deliver IP to many transmitters. Audio networking can be built like a tree - upon studio departure some links will serve four or five receivers, then each receiver will rebroadcast without decoding to four or five others receivers.
Secure Links Central to our Products
The SOUND4 IP CONNECT was specifically developed with the aim of providing you with secure links and backup.
Users can set a backup link in case the main one fails. Moreover, the SOUND4 IP CONNECT is the first Audio over IP codec which manages fall-back links with dynamic data assignment. For example, a radio can use an ADSL link for the main service and an IP satellite (2-way) for backup. The main advantage of the 2-way satellite is the cost because it is usually used for a limited quantity of data transfer. At the same time, the cost is also a disadvantage if the data transfer is not achieved. With the SOUND4 IP CONNECT Fall-back link management, it is possible to start or stop sending data to the satellite when needed. The basic subscription for a 2-way satellite can cover a backup program for more than 20 hours per week.
A Built-in Pre-processor Optimizing the Codec’s Performance
As a manufacturer who specializes in sound processing, we always pay attention to levels. With the SOUND4 IP CONNECT, we have implemented a pre-processor to optimize levels and the performance of the codecs.
The SOUND4 IP CONNECT can be used in all circumstances, even in live broadcasting where levels are not always correctly controlled. Another advantage is the fact that pre-processing is by-passable for users who do not need it.
Up to 32 Links Supported
The SOUND4 IP CONNECT can handle up to 32 links, each of them being able to run a single-way or a duplex transmission. All links are dynamically re-assignable with the Link & Share protocol.
Software Options Available *
- PCI Audio Driver In
- PCI Audio Driver Out
- Streaming Extension
- IP Tx
- IP Tx2
- IP Rx
- IP Rx2
- IP RX + Tx
- Dual IP Tx + RX
- IP Pass Through
- Breakout cable for FM/HD processors and IP CONNECT (PCIe In-Card)
* All Software Options are subject to an additional payment. For pricing please Contact Us.
The SOUND4 IP Connect PCIe Card
- 100% autonomous in terms of resources - the card only requires power from the PC.
- 4 inputs - AES from 32 to 192 kHz, analog, IP and PCI (audio driver).
- Mixing of inputs and automatic safety function.
- Routing of signals for outlets.
- Relay switch for automatic by-pass.
- Digital AES/EBU synchronization input.
- DSP computing power - 4 Giga Flops (Sharc 40 bits with floating point).
- GUI and driver compatible 32 & 64 bits - Windows 7, windows 8, Windows 10, Windows 11, Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012, Linux (Debian).
- Multicard driver (the quantity of PCIe slots will be equal to the number of cards admissible in the same PC).
- Start-up time of the SOUND4 IP card - 15 seconds max to being on air.
- Guaranteed security - the SOUND4 card is independent from the operating system. Thus, we can monitor the operating system and force it to reboot in case of a crash without ever having a sound cut-off at the antenna.
- 100% upgradeable and fast. While updating the card, the sound is interrupted for only two seconds for Analog and AES.
Protocol, Codecs and Links Capacity
At SOUND4 we have built a solid reputation in Audio over IP, which is the reason why we use our proprietary protocol with our own IP corrections and QOS management. This choice offers stability because it is designed for actual technology and realistic line characteristics. Our protocol is based on a UDP standard.
With SOUND4 IP Connect, we provide two types of codecs:
- Linear (PCM)
- SOUND4 LD, our own proprietary low-delay codec. Adjustable from 64 to 384 kbps.
In addition to having minimum delay, our codec also works with low bandwidth (transparent at 128 kbps). The SOUND4 LD codec is not an mpeg-based codec, it does not generate artifacts with mpeg based audio sources.
In terms of delay, 50 ms for encoding/transport/decoding is an achievable goal on a good SDSL line.
A SOUND4 IP Connect can handle up to 32 links, with each Link being able to run a single-way or a duplex transmission. All links are dynamically re-assignable with the Link & Share protocol.
- HQ Sound
- Main sampling process frequency of 192 kHz
- AGC broad band.
- 2-band process with Fidelity and Sound Impact System (S.I.S.)
- Look Ahead limiter
- Ultra-low delay ~3 milliseconds
- Audio Backup - thanks to the audio driver
- Replication of inputs
- Link & Share - 100% of all parameters are accessible via the telnet protocol
The SOUND4 IP Connect has four inputs - Digital, Analog, PCI and IP. All inputs are "switchable" or "mixable" by Link & Share commands.
On the software interface, the input currently in use is indicated by a triangle on the left side of its name.
With the SOUND4 IP Connect, the first processing function is the Wide-band AGC - automatic gain control whose main purpose is to even out gaps of levels applied in terms of processing.
The algorithm specially developed for this AGC is of the predictive type. It allows for very high sound variations without any sort of pumping.
The 2-Band Process
The 2-band Process is the heart of dynamic processing. With the SOUND4 IP Connect, a single algorithm guarantees the gain in each of the bands in order to complete sound stabilization.
The Final Limiter
The Final Limiter is based on a look-ahead algorithm - the best way of controlling peaks without compromise.
Analog Input Quantity 1 stereo Level 2 ranges (+12 or + 24 dBu - software selectable) Impedance 10k Connector XLR female balanced and EMI suppressed Digital Input Quantity 1 stereo Standard AES 3 Sampling Rate 32 to 192 kHz - 24 bits Connector XLR female balanced and EMI suppressed AES/EBU Input Sync Quantity/Connectors 1 BNC female connector Sync Type Word Clock - 32 to 192 kHz Level 1 to 6 volt Analog Output Quantity 1 stereo Level 2 ranges (+12 or + 24 dBu - software selectable) Load Impedance typical 10k - maximum load impedance 300 ohm at 24 dBu Connector XLR male balanced and EMI suppressed Digital Output Quantity 1 stereo Standard AES 3 Sampling Rate 32 to 192 kHz - 24 bits Connector XLR male balanced and EMI suppressed Audio Performances Processing Delay From 1.5 to 3.5 ms, depending on the presets and audio path Frequency Response 30Hz - 20 kHz +/-0.2dB (measured on Analog output) Noise >90 dB Distortion <0.2% THD Separation >70 dB Audio Drivers (Input & Output) Linux (Debian) Alsa Microsoft Windows WDM/Direct Sound compatible 32 & 64 bits - Windows 7 - Windows 8 - Windows 10 - Windows 11 - Windows Server 2008 R2 - Windows Server 2012 IP Interface TCP/IP 10/100-base T Ethernet port (on board) PCI Express Card Standard PCI express x1 (compatible with x2, x4, x8, x16 slots) Board Power Supply Connector type Molex IDE 4 pins male Board Consumption 10 watts typical, 30 watts when all outputs are loaded to max Size 185 x 106mm (without connectors) Compatible Operating System for SOUND4 PCIe Cards Linux Linux (Debian) Microsoft Windows 32 & 64 bits: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows 11, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019 Compatible Operating System for SOUND4 Remote Software Linux Linux (Debian) Microsoft Windows 32 & 64 bits: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows 11, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019 PC to Client Communication Interface TCP/IP Client (Remote) / Server (hosting PC) Architecture via Ethernet Link & Share 100% of all parameters are accessible via telnet protocol Size And Weight Dimensions (WxHxD) 190 x 21 x 106mm Shipping Weight 54 x 230 x 270mm / 0.930kg HS Code 8473302000
Quick User GuideSOUND4 IP Connect Quick User Guide (English)Size: 1.07 MB Download
User ManualDB62 AUDIO I/O Connector User Manual (English)Size: 767 KB Download
SoftwareUniversal All Products Installer
The Universal Products Installer is the complete installation kit for all SOUND4 Products. Whatever you are using, an In-Box (19 inch racks) or a In-Card (PCIe or PCI cards), the Universal Products Installer installs the software suite for HD/FM products, IP Codecs, Voice Processors and Streaming Processors...The Universal Products Installer includes:
- The Remote Control Software for In-Box and In-Card Products
- For In-Card Products (PCI & PCIe):
- SOUND4 cards Drivers (PCI & PCIe)
- The SOUND4 Server (the service which handles data communication from/to cards)
- Latest upgrade files (for all PCIe & PCI products)
Link&Share is an open command protocol compatible with all SOUND4 Products. Thanks to Link&Share, it is possible to change a product Input, change the On Air Preset, switch an IP Link... Everything is possible with Link&Share!
Here is the Link&Share Transmitter which offers you the possibility to send commands by script...Alarm Stacker
The Alarm Stacker is a free program used to supervise and send alarm messages by email when something is not working correctly. According to product type, users have the possibility to define alarms on a very complete list of parameters.
To oversee the operations of one or more SOUND4 cards, this program must be installed on the computer that hosts the cards.
This program is compatible with all SOUND4 products.Remote Support ToolSize: 4.25 MB Download
You need a dedicated support, you need our assistance remotely on your equipment... No problem, the TeamViewer Remote Tool Support is at your disposal.
When downloaded, run it directly. In the window, you will see an ID number and a password. Please send it to our support team for a dedicated remote support.
Note: this third party tool is provided for free.
ExtensionsKantar Media Watermarking Extension
This extension is needed for this product if you have to use the watermarking from Kantar media.
LinuxLinux Ubuntu OS
SOUND4 proposes you to install the software package under your own Ubuntu.
NOTE: SOUND4 does not offer Linux support. You have to master Linux Management if you plan to use these software packages.
Compatibility with Ubuntu distributions:
- Lucid Lynx - 10.04 LTS
- Precise Pangolin - 12.04 LTS
- Trusty Tahr - 14.04 LTS
- Xenial Xerus - 16.04 LTS
- Bionic Beaver - 18.04 LTS
- Focal Fossa - 20.04 LTS
- Jammy Jellyfish - 22.04 LTS
Installation For a PC hosting SOUND4 card and running compatible Ubuntu version:
- Click on the following link to add SOUND4 repository - http://www.sound4.biz/repository/ubuntu/sound4-repository.deb
- Then install the driver with following link - apt://sound4exp1?refresh=yes
- Finally, install the SOUND4 server with following link - apt://sound4server
If you also want to install:
- the SOUND4 Remote Control, please use the following link - apt://sound4remote
- the SOUND4 Stream, please follow the link - apt://sound4stream
If you prefer to manage package installation by yourself, please follow the instructions below:
- Add the following source to your Ubuntu repository list (example for Lucid) - deb http://www.sound4.biz/repository/ubuntu lucid non-free
- Then get the SOUND4 GPG signature key - wget -q http://www.sound4.biz/repository/sound4.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
- Install required packages - sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install sound4exp1 sound4server sound4remote sound4stream
- Add the user to the audio group (needed for Alarm Stacker GUI) - sudo adduser $USER audio
- Log off and on to make the settings effective.
ImagesImagesThis archive contains all images from product's gallery.