With its advanced functionalities and impressive versatility, SOUND4 PULSE gives clients the ultimate price - performance ratio, providing much more than just a processor. Flexible and powerful, it ensures perfect sound quality and full compatibility with radio broadcasting standards and can be used simultaneously for FM and HD, DAB, DRM or streaming.
One of the most distinctive features of the SOUND4 PULSE is the three-band processor which is at the heart of dynamic processing. A single algorithm guarantees the gain in each of the bands in order to complete sound stabilization. “Coloring” is controlled by the Fidelity parameter. Thus, it is possible to have a "purist" and a "colored" sound texture. The 3-band Process is achieved through the revolutionary algorithm S.I.S. (Sound Impact System), which makes it possible to maintain the authenticity of the original sound attacks.
Another great feature of this model is the intelligent 2-band Automatic Gain Control whose main purpose is to stabilize the input levels and prevent noticeable level differences between recent and old titles. This product also has a real stereo enhancer and a 3-band stereo image limiter acting on the control of the energy transmitted by the stereo sub-porter at 38 kHz. This unique functionality limits issues currently caused by the traditional enhancement processes. The stability of reception in areas "disturbed" by Multipath conditions is thus greatly optimized.
SOUND4 PULSE has Analog, Digital and AES-67/Livewire inputs and outputs, as well as an MPX FM output. The outputs of SOUND4 PULSE are fully assignable. For example, the analog output may replicate the signal which is fed to the analog input, the digital output delivers an HD signal, the TX1 one delivers the MPX signal and the TX2 output drives the 19-kHz pilot signal.
Due to the capacity of its memory card to store audio files, SOUND4 PULSE also guarantees bulletproof backup functionalities, ensuring continuity of the on-air program and solving the problem of radio silence.
Software Options Available *
A number of additional software options make this product even more versatile. These include Basic and Full RDS, Streaming Extension, IP TX + RX and Dual IP TX + RX to name but a few. A full list of all software options is available below:
- Basic RDS Encoder
- Full RDS Encoder
- Streaming Extension
- IP Tx
- IP Tx2
- IP Rx
- IP Rx2
- IP RX + Tx
- Dual IP Tx + RX
- IP Pass Through
- Emergency URL Player
- Emergency Audio Player
* All Software Options are subject to an additional payment. For pricing please Contact Us.
Additionally, it comes in a compact 1U case and has a dual power supply which is a standard feature of all SOUND4 In-box products and ensures constant, uninterrupted operation of the device. The user-friendly remote control interface allows for easy setup of the unit. One of the most impressive assets if this tool is the fact that it takes just seconds to upgrade the SOUND4 PULSE to a SOUND4 IMPACT via a software license. This is a product that will fully meet your requirements when it comes to both quality and price.
The SOUND4 PULSE
- Dual Power supply
- 2 Processing path: FM & HD
- Inputs: 2 AES/EBU 32 to 192 kHz, 2 analog, 2 AES-67/Livewire, 2 IP Codec (SOUND4 IP CONNECT), 2 SUB (insert for RDS/RBDS...)
- Outputs: 2 AES/EBU 32 to 192 kHz, 2 analog, 2 AES-67/Livewire, 2 IP Codec (SOUND4 IP CONNECT), 2 MPX
- Digital AES/EBU and wordclock synchronization inputs.
- 3 independent Ethernet ports: Admin, AES-67, IP-CONNECT
- GPIO: 8 inputs, 8 outputs, advanced management with scripts
- GPS Sync for System time and AoIP Sync
- Micro SD: High capacity management, SDXC compatible standard (up to 2TB), for music storage and more
- Two USB ports: front and rear (for preset & upgrade loading and other functionalities)
- Headphone output on front panel with the possibility to listen each Input or Output
- Full Routing management: Patch points with Insert and Mix on all stages, routing of signals to any Inputs and Outputs
- Automatic failover input switching with crossfade
- Diversity Delay: up to 20 seconds
- Relay switch for automatic by-pass
- Fully controllable from front Panel
- GUI remote control compatible 32 & 64 bits - Windows 7, Windows 8 & 8.1, Windows 10, Windows 11, 2008 R2, 2012 and Linux (Debian)
- HTML5 GUI: Inputs and outputs setup, preset change, upgrades...
- Start-up time of SOUND4 PULSE: 2 seconds to be on air (Analog Input or AES/EBU input)
- Total DSPs computing power for audio Processing: 16,2 Giga Flops (Sharc 40 bits with floating point + other DSPs)
- Total ARMs computing power for product management and extra functions: 4 GMips
User-Friendly Control Interface
- Sound setting from one single screen - you no longer need to open and close windows to go from one function to another
- Two modes - Basic and Advanced. Basic mode provides simplicity and rapidity; Advanced mode allows you to explore all the processor functionalities. There are also ultra-rapid VU meters for true control over modulation
- Advanced meterings with FFT and MPX Power
- Unlimited “Undo/Redo” versioning function for presets with possibility of recall
- Innovative “compare to reference” function
- Log comment feature follow each preset
- A readable and interactive path diagram
- A remote connection manager to control several processors
- Works with the following operating systems - WXP SP3, W7 32& 64 bits, W8 32 & 64 bits, WS 2008 R2, WS 2012, Linux (Debian)
- HQ Sound, main sampling process frequency of 192 kHz.
- 2-band AGC
- 4-band EQ + Tone FX and Stereo FX
- Stereo enhancer
- 3-band process with Fidelity and Sound Impact System (S.I.S.)
- 3-band limiter
- 4-band EQ
- Final limiters:
- FM path - Bass Clipper + FM Limiter + MPX Limiter
- HD path - Look Ahead limiter for the HD output
- Voice Smoother to avoid distortion problems on certain voices
- BS412 compliant MPX power controller
- Typical processing delay at 1 KHz:
- HD output: 12 ms
- FM output: 25 ms
- MPX output: 32 ms
Other key points:
- 19 kHz embedded pilot to gain close to 1 dB more in loudness!
- Auto-Mono: Switch off pilot 19 KHz on mono sources for better receiving in FM
- Stereo Matrixing for better stability in loudness and sound tone when the receiver switches from mono/stereo/mono
- Adjustable Filters Frequencies in 2-band AGC, 3-band Process and 3-Band Limiter
- Basic RDS encoder (with scrolling PS)
- Full RDS (UECP-compatible)
- IP Codec - SOUND4 IP CONNET (manage up to 32 Links!)
- Emergency Player: Audio program backup, 2 music libraries, 1 Jingle Library + rules management
- Audio streaming - 3 encoders (MP3, AAC, HE-AAC v1 & v2), compatible with all delivery servers (Icecast, Shoutcast v1 & V2, HLS, Flash, Wowza)
- Link & Share - 100% of all parameters are accessible via the telnet protocol
- Software Panels - the device allows you to create your own panels with unlimited functionality
- Preset Sharing - the ultimate solution to manage an unlimited number of processors. All of them are automatically updated if one of them is modified
The SOUND4 PULSE has four inputs - Digital, Analog, IP (Livewire or SOUND4 IP Connect) and PCI.
On the software interface, the input currently in use is indicated by a triangle on the left side of its name.
With the SOUND4 PULSE, the first processing function is the 2-Band AGC - automatic gain control whose main purpose is to stabilize the loudness level applied to the input of the processor and prevent noticeable level differences between recent and old titles.
The Tone FX makes coloring of sound before dynamic processing possible. To do so, it groups together two types of processing functions:
- A 4-band parametric equalizer;
- An effect system making it possible to strengthen low frequencies and high frequencies.
The two functions offer results that are entirely different, which is why they are gathered on one single screen.
In Basic mode, use of the four parametric equalizers is simplified to the maximum. Only the gain for each correction is accessible. For FX Bass and FX Treble, dosage of the effect is also made accessible.
In Advanced mode, users have access to all equalizer parameters (gain, frequency and Q factor).
SOUND4 PULSE has a true stereo enlarger, 100% mono-compatible. Its role is to sublimate the existing stereo image. It will thus never create stereo in mono sources.
In addition to embellishing the stereo image, it also has a 3-band stereo image limiter acting on the control of the energy transmitted by the stereo sub-porter at 38 kHz. This unique functionality limits issues currently caused by the traditional enlargement processes. The stability of reception in areas disturbed by multiple routes is thus greatly optimized.
The 3-Band Process
The 3-band Process is the heart of dynamic processing. With SOUND4 PULSE, a single algorithm guarantees the gain in each of the bands in order to complete sound stabilization. “Coloring” is controlled by the Fidelity parameter. Thus, it is possible to have a purist and a colored sound texture.
The 3-band Process is achieved through the revolutionary algorithm S.I.S. (Sound Impact System), which makes it possible to maintain the authenticity of the original sound attacks.
The 3-Band Limiter
The main purpose of the 3-band Limiter is to prepare the work of the final limiter. It is also provided with a very powerful predictive algorithm, which has been simplified to the maximum, so that it is not encumbered with useless parameters.
The Final Limiter
The Final Limiter comprises two sections - one for FM applications and one for HD applications.
The FM Section consists of a Bass Clipper, guaranteeing powerful bass without distortion, an FM limiter and an MPX limiter.
The HD Section is specifically designed for high quality digital applications (HD/DAB/DRM). This is a look-ahead type of limiter and in this mode the outputs are not limited to 15 kHz.
Assignment of Outlets
The outlets of SOUND4 PULSE are fully assignable. For example, the analog outlet may replicate the signal which is applied to the analog input, the digital outlet delivers an HD signal, the TX1 outlet delivers the MPX signal and the TX2 outlet drives the 19-kHz pilot signal.
Analog Input Quantity 2 stereo Level 2 ranges (+12 or +24 dBu - software selectable) Impedance 10 kΩ Connectors 1 pair of XLR female balanced, EMI suppressed;
1 pair on a DB25 female (TASCAM pinout) balanced, EMI suppressed
Digital Input Quantity 2 stereo Standard AES3 Sampling Rate 32 to 192kHz, 24 bits Connectors 1x XLR female balanced , EMI suppressed;
1 on a DB25 female (TASCAM pinout) balanced, EMI suppressed
AES/EBU Input Sync Quantity/Connector 1 on a DB25, EMI suppressed Sync Type Word Clock - 32 to 192 kHz Video PAL or NTSC Level 1 to 6 Volts Impedance 75 Ω SCA/RDS Input Quantity/Connector 2x BNC, EMI suppressed Type Adder Level Same as MPX output (adder) Impedance 75 Ω or 10 kΩ, jumper selectable Analog Output Quantity 2 stereo balanced (with automatic unbalancing) Level 2 ranges (+12 or + 24 dBu - software selectable) Load Impedance 10 kΩ typ. (> 300 Ω) Connectors 1 pair of XLR male balanced, EMI suppressed;
1 pair on a DB25 female (TASCAM pinout) balanced, EMI suppressed
Digital Output Quantity 2 stereo Standard AES3 Sampling Rate 32 to 192kHz, 24 bits Connectors 1x XLR male balanced, EMI suppressed;
1 on a DB25 female (TASCAM pinout) balanced, EMI suppressed
Stereo Generator MPX Output Quantity/Connector 2x independent BNC, EMI suppressed Signal MPX or 19kHz pilot Level 2 ranges (+6 or +18dBu - software selectable) Load Impedance 75 Ω typ. (> 35 Ω) Audio Specifications Processing Delay MPX 30ms Processing Delay Analog Out (HD) 11ms Frequency Response MPX 30Hz - 15 kHz +/-0.2dB (de-emphasized) Frequency Response Analog Out (HD) 20Hz - 15 kHz +/-0.1dB (de-emphasized) Signal to Noise >90 dB Distortion MPX <0.018% THD Distortion Analog <0.006% THD Separation >70 dB Audio Over IP Live Protocol (AES67) Ethernet 100Mbps;
Compatible AES67, Ravenna, Livewire;
48kHz, 24 bits, stereo, >= 12 samples/packet (250µs), delay 1ms
Transport protocol (IP) Ethernet 100Mbps;
High quality stereo codec (32 to 200kbps) or linear;
2.5s compensation buffer
Power Supply Type Dual Redundant Voltage 100 – 260 Volt AC, < 40W Operating conditions Operational between 0 – 50°C Size and Weight Dimensions (WxHxD) 485 x 44 x 260 mm Shipping Weight 550 x 120 x 580 mm / 3.900 kg HS Code 8517620000 Power up boot Boot time 3s Bypass relay AES AES in => AES out Analog Analog in => Analog out Optional interfaces USB 2.0, for upgrades micro SD card for music files RS232 DB25 standard, for RDS (shared with GPIO) GPS input For System time and AoIP Sync. SMA connector (active antenna) GPIO 8 inputs, 8 outputs (opto-isolated) with 5V supply (DB25 male) SOUND4 REMOTE CONTROL Software Operating Systems Linux Debian 32 & 64 bits Microsoft Windows 32 & 64 bits: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows 11, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019 PC to Client Communication Interface TCP/IP Client (Remote) / Server (Impact) architecture via Ethernet 1000Mbps Link & Share All parameters are accessible via simple Telnet protocol SNMP Supervision with Trap Feature
Quick User GuideSOUND4 IMPACT/PULSE/FIRST Quick User Guide (English)Size: 1.24 MB DownloadSOUND4 IMPACT/PULSE/FIRST Quick User Guide (Russian)Size: 1.26 MB Download
User ManualSOUND4 PULSE User Manual (English)Size: 9.02 MB DownloadSOUND4 PULSE User Manual (Spanish)Size: 9.21 MB Download
SoftwareUniversal All Products Installer
The Universal Products Installer is the complete installation kit for all SOUND4 Products. Whatever you are using, an In-Box (19 inch racks) or a In-Card (PCIe or PCI cards), the Universal Products Installer installs the software suite for HD/FM products, IP Codecs, Voice Processors and Streaming Processors...The Universal Products Installer includes:
- The Remote Control Software for In-Box and In-Card Products
- For In-Card Products (PCI & PCIe):
- SOUND4 cards Drivers (PCI & PCIe)
- The SOUND4 Server (the service which handles data communication from/to cards)
- Latest upgrade files (for all PCIe & PCI products)
Link&Share is an open command protocol compatible with all SOUND4 Products. Thanks to Link&Share, it is possible to change a product Input, change the On Air Preset, switch an IP Link... Everything is possible with Link&Share!
Here is the Link&Share Transmitter which offers you the possibility to send commands by script...Remote Support ToolSize: 4.25 MB Download
You need a dedicated support, you need our assistance remotely on your equipment... No problem, the TeamViewer Remote Tool Support is at your disposal.
When downloaded, run it directly. In the window, you will see an ID number and a password. Please send it to our support team for a dedicated remote support.
Note: this third party tool is provided for free.
ImagesImagesThis archive contains all images from product's gallery.
SOUND4 PULSE is offering as an option the Kantar Media Audio Watermarking Technology for audience rating. Today, depending on the country, radio stations can be listened to on FM, DAB or Streaming, and polling companies need to know the audience results for each of the media.
In the SOUND4 PULSE, watermarking is always carried out at the end of the processing chain to guarantee maximum watermarking quality.
The SOUND4 PULSE is the most advanced watermarking processor and can tag up to 3 different feeds:
- 1 for the HD/FM output
- 1 for the 1st streaming encoder
- 1 for the 2nd streaming encoder
About Kantar Media watermarking technology:
SNAP audio watermarking technology by Kantar has been designed for TV and Radio audience measurement. In addition, it can also be used for the synchronization of a second screen application. SNAP watermarking carries 2 types of information, a channel identifier and a timestamp for linear content and a timecode for non-linear content.
The audio watermarking technology can be described by 3 main properties: the inaudibility of the watermarking, the amount of data carried by the watermarking and the robustness of the watermarking.
The SNAP technology remains inaudible thanks to a very complex acoustic model and preserves the quality of the sound. This is a crucial property for TV channels and Radio stations that invest time and money into getting the best quality for their sound. Regarding the amount of data, the SNAP technology proposes a single payload for Channel and Content identification. The robustness of SNAP watermarking in the broadcast chain is also a key element. SNAP is robust to low encoding bitrates, and to adaptive bitrates. Don’t hesitate to contact Kantar support to get bitrate recommendations depending on the audio codec.